Thursday, June 24, 2010

WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO THAT FOR?

What is it about the shock of being hurt with no idea that it's coming that brings out the fight in us? I felt bad after yelling these words at my beautiful daughter after she pulverised my face with a softball from less than two feet away. I never saw it coming nor did I have an appreciation for the strength of her 10 year old arm. Many people wonder how I found myself in this predicament so I will explain. First of all there is no gruesome picture to post, oddly enough I have no bruise or swelling to show the awful pain that I feel inside my face. So how did it happen you may be asking...this is how. Our pitchers were warming up before the last game of our tournament in Salina this past weekend. Maddi was catching for one of them and Coach Kirk and myself were going from pitcher to pitcher standing in as batters to get them used to warming up with a batter in the box. I am a right hand batter and Maddi is a left hand catcher. I didn' t have a helmet on and she didn't take a step to her right before she fired the ball back to the pitcher. This combination led to a throw directly into my right cheek, the ball striking me right on my upper jaw just above my upper teeth. I have had x-rays which show no fracture but the Doctor agreed there is definetely a fracture due to the popping sound that is made when pressure is applied to my right cheek. I have numbness in three teeth and was spitting out blood that was draining from my sinuses all weekend. Thank God that has stopped. I am a little worried about the teeth because I think it is the bone around the roots of them that is actually broken. I am not a doctor but due to the sensation I feel when the popping takes place that is my diagnosis. Of course there is nothing that can be done for a facial fracture that is not "depressed" so I get to play the waiting game for the next 6-8 weeks. Maddi is now proud of her achievement and even boasts "I broke my Dad's face, I can break your face."

No comments:

Post a Comment