Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Missing the open road!

Why does winter seem to last so long? Spring and summer seemed to fly by this year especially when it came to our cycling. Just 10 months ago I would have laughed if somebody told me that Amy and I would dedicate ourselves to cycling and put almost 1,000 miles on our bikes the first year. I hated cycling! Let me restate that, I hated the discomfort of cycling. I thought my co-worker Bruce Spellman was nuts for riding in the MS every year. I could not imagine sitting on a bicycle for 5 miles let along more than 100. The moment I sat on the Rans Cruz crankforward bike at our bike store I could not believe how comfortable it was. I knew after a short ride around the park that it was going home with me that day. After Amy unsuccessfully tried out several road bikes she too gave the Cruz a try and decided on one as well. We bought two of them, walked them out of the store and then hoped on and rode them 20 miles that afternoon. Now I long for our 40 mile rides on beautiful Saturday mornings just the two of us. It took many miles of training to get to the point that we could ride 40, 50 or even 60 mile rides and still be able to walk the rest of the day and my worry over this winter was loosing that strength. So we bought a trainer so we can ride indoors and let me tell you it is far from those wonderful rides through the Konza. But I hope to get used to it and continue to grow strong for this spring and summer. I have posted some pics of the riding adventures we went on this year. Unfortunately we didn't take pics of every ride but the highlights for us were: #1 Bike MS (two days and 130 miles to raise money for MS research), #2 The Rans Rally (only a 30 mile ride but got to test ride some awesome bikes and met some really great people), #3 Biking the riverfront trail around the St. Louis Arch and over the Mississippi River into Illinois. #4 Cycle Casa ( 36 miles), #5 Cabin Fever Challenge (38 miles two weeks after purchasing our bikes...we were crazy and it sucked bad!) and many, many wonderful rides around the Manhattan, Wamego and St. George area.



St. Louis-







Rans Rally- Very disappointing pics as we forgot our camera at home and had to buy a disposable from shop quik.












Bike MS
Team Flo Ridas- Amy, Ben, Rod, Michael
One of our comfy Rans bikes.

My co-worker Bruce Spellman riding in his 4th or 5th Bike MS.




2 comments:

  1. 60 miles??!!! In one day? Are you crazy?

    We have some photos that are very, very similar to yours...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH no no no! Please tell me you didn't go INSIDE Busch!

    ReplyDelete